Sunday, February 28, 2010

Painting shadows

I love Hitchcock's sense of composition, very dynamic. I read that he actually painted shadows on the walls and floor for better compositions. I did a few studies of some of my favorites.

Vertigo
I love how the Golden Gate bridge points to Kim Novak like a dagger. The clouds above her head reflects her emotional turmoil.

Strangers on a train


I think he painted the shadows along the side wall. It helped the composition,

North by Northwest



Went a little looser on this - I haven't seen North by Northwest in a while but just by looking at the image I know it was a moment in the film where Carey Grant felt trapped or conflicted just by the design of the shot. Love how the shadows of trees point back to him. I think this is an instance of Hitchcock painting shadows as they didn't make sense based on the light source.

4 comments: