Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beep Beep Beep.... Backing up the Painting Dump Truck

Been doing a lot a painting, finally got around to posting. These are all limited palette. Want to keep it simple and focus on the basics. Just using alzarin crimson, ultramarine blue, yellow ochre watercolor with titanium white gouache for tinting.


This is a master study I did of one of Erick Tiemens paintings.
It's pretty maddening trying to figure how he's laying down his
brushstrokes. Need to do more master studies,
I feel like they are helping

Did this on Sunday - near my mailbox at home

I've also taken to painting at lunch - it's been a real
challenge - one in finding subject matter to paint close
enough to work where I'm not spending half my lunch
break getting there and two in actually painting it in less
than an hour - For a chronic dilly dallyer its been
agonizing but it is forcing me to make decisions fast
and get it down. They are only sketches but I think the
speed is forcing me to get faster and think on my toes.
I literally run out the office door, grab my paint out of
my car and look for the first and closest available
subject that has halfway good lighting and a
somewhat interesting value pattern and I go for it.
I clean up my edges a little when I get home at night
but for the most part these took less than an hour to do.
It does suck when I forget something as in the case
today when I forgot my watercolor block and had to
use an Urban Outfitters bag. I spared posting some of
the really stinky ones - those are for me to figure
out what went wrong.






Did these two at Erick Tiemens workshop





No comments:

Post a Comment