Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Landscape Painting

Still working in limited palette. I'm practically dying wanting to use some beautiful bright greens but still not ready to move on to a full palette yet. Did this one during one of my lunch time paintings of the Burbank hills. Been struggling with these lately but was excited with this one. Loved how the dark clouds were moving over from the right and how you could see warm light bouncing off the ground and back up at the bottom of the clouds.


Did this one over the weekend from my backyard. Need to work more on my shape design but I'm pleased with how I'm simplifying groups of shapes and creating depth with foreground/background elements.



I'm currently reading Richard Schmid's Alla Prima book. It's been helping me a lot. He talks about how Value, color and edges are inter-related - that one will inform the other. For example - that the sharper edges are usually also areas of biggest value contrast. This was a big mind-opener for me that I don't have to concentrate on each individual element, that I can find one and it will inform the other. He also talks about how painting evolved from the idea where you had to know what you were painting to paint it to painting something based on its appearance - concentrating not on what you are painting but the abstract shapes, colors and edges that make the form. It has allowed me to let go of my assumptions of what I think something is and focus simple shapes, colors ect. Also squinting to see edges as well as values has been really useful.

Looking forward to taking a painting workshop with Bill Perkins this weekend and learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment